Saturday, August 12 and Sunday, August 13, 2017
9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Nothing says summer like fresh-picked sweet corn! Lauritzen Gardens celebrates this backyard favorite and Nebraska’s agricultural jewel during the annual Sweet Corn Festival. Guests can enjoy a variety of activities, entertainment and plenty of delicious, locally grown sweet corn. They can hop on the hayrack ride, cool off with free samples of “Nebraska Sweet Corn” and "Nebraska Street Corn" ice cream from Ted & Wally’s Premium Homemade Ice Cream, purchase freshly popped kettle corn and learn about corn (and other New World foods) through fun, educational activities.
Guests can also explore new ways to incorporate sweet corn during special cooking demonstrations. Live entertainment will be featured throughout the weekend and Hap Abraham Catering will offer a variety of sweet corn items and other fresh fare from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The Sweet Corn Festival is included with regular garden admission of $10/adults, $5/children ages 6-12. The event is free for garden members and children under six.
In addition to corn, this year's festival will be spiced up with the celebration of chile peppers, another New World Food. Learn about the natural history of chile peppers, how to grow peppers and how to cook with them.
- Sample three varieties of Nebraska sweet corn
- From Avocado to Vanilla, sample a wide variety of foods that originated in the Americas
● 9 to 10 a.m.- Bloody mary mocktails and French toast casserole with maple syrup
● 10 to 11 a.m.- Homemade blueberry salsa with corn chips
● 11 a.m. to noon- Chile peanuts, chile lime cashews, chile lime cornnuts and chile lime pecans
● Noon to 1 p.m.- Chocolate tasting- chocolate, chile chocolate, chocolate covered blueberries, chocolate covered sunflower seeds
● 1 to 2 p.m.- Smoked chile scalloped sweet potatoes
● 2 to 3 p.m. ALL AGES HAPPY HOUR with virgin pineapple chile margaritas and Jacobo's salsa verde with corn chips
● 3 to 4 p.m.- ALL AGES HAPPY HOUR with virgin pineapple chile margaritas and 3-chile guacamole with corn chips
● 4 to 5 p.m.- ALL AGES HAPPY HOUR with virgin pineapple chile margaritas and pumpkin chile con queso with corn chips
- Take a fun, festive hayrack ride (10 a.m. to 3 p.m.)
- Enjoy live music from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. each day
- Watch Square Dance Omaha perform on the festival garden patio from noon to 1 p.m.
- Watch antique farm implements shell corn the old fashioned way
- Make your own cornhusk doll and learn about the origin of these toys
- Participate in corny crafts for children
- Learn the real definition of "Cornhusker"
Enjoy sweet corn ice cream samples from Ted & Wally's Premium Homemade Ice Cream
- Watch cooking demonstrations featuring sweet corn and other New World Foods. Demonstrations will be at 10 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 1 p.m. and 2 p.m.
- Purchase freshly popped kettle corn, or a variety of food from the cafe.
- Learn how to make herb butters to top your favorite corn
- See the "Food from the Americas" exhibit, featuring foods that originated in the Western Hemisphere
- Test your throwing arm at a game of corn chucking!
- Look for corny jokes as you walk through the garden
- Learn how to grow peppers
- Meet corn snakes and other specimens from the Nebraska Herpetological Society
- PLUS, other "corny" activities for all ages